Buy your pet products here

Chewy.com Logo

Saturday, July 5, 2014

My First and Second List of TTM Failures



I started collecting MLB autographs through the mail in 2010. I posted my stories on a content mill that is now shutting down. So in order to keep a record of my successes, it is time to move them to my blog. Here is what I published on Oct. 9, 2012.
Many sports fans are participating in the hobby of collecting baseball autographs through the mail.
I started the hobby about two years ago and have documented my success.
Now it is time to mention  failures.
My first disappointment is current New York Yankee bench coach Tony Pena.
I sent Pena a baseball card on Sept. 9, 2010 to the Yankees. Still nothing.
On www.fanmail.biz a fan recorded a success from Pena on Sept. 29, 2011.
Guess I mailed a year to early.
Second on my list of failures is Omar Vizquel.
Sent Vizquel a baseball card on Sept. 9, 2010 to the Chicago White Sox  address, where he was a player at that time. The last success for Vizquel recorded on fanmail.biz was in 2010.
Vizquel was just honored by the Toronto Blue Jays.
I also mailed Latroy Hawkins on Sept. 9, 2010. I sent Hawkins a baseball card to the Milwaukee Brewers  address, where he was playing at the time.
Now he has agreed to a contract with the Los Angeles Angels. Not a lot of positive feedback for Hawkins on fanmail.biz so not sure to try him at that address or not.
Tim Wakefield is also on my failure list.
I mailed a card to him at the Boston Red Sox address on Sept. 10, 2010.
I see a success recorded for Wakefield at his home address, so he could be a retry.
Former Yankee pitcher Tommy John is also a no go.
Mailed a card to John at an address in Charlotte, North Carolina on Sept. 11, 2010.
I did not send a fee, and now I see that he may charge a $10 fee, so he may be a retry.
Another disappointment is former Atlanta Brave Ron Gant.
I mailed a baseball card to Gant in care of Sports South on Sept. 11, 2010. There are no recent success reported for Gant on the website.
To my surprise former MLB pitcher Bryan Harvey is also on my failure list.
I mailed a card to Harvey at the Tulsa Driller's address on Sept. 11, 2010 after seeing successful reports.
Harvey is not listed as part of the Drillers anymore.
These requests I have listed were mailed over two years ago. I assume they will remain on the failure list. It makes one wonder what happened to the request.
Is it lost in the mail? Was it thrown in the trash? Is it sitting in a pile of mail in the player's home?
I doubt these questions will ever be answered.



The hobby brings many rewards and many failures.
Those players who have not responded to my requests include: Former Los Angeles Dodger manager Tommy Lasorda.
I mailed Lasorda a card on Sept. 20, 2010 to an address in Fullerton, Calif. I have received no response. A new source of player addresses I'm using shows there is an 86 percent success rate from this address but a 100 percent success rate when Lasorda is contacted at Dodger Stadium. It may be worth a second try.
Former Pittsburgh Pirate Jason Thompson is also a pending failure.
Mailed a card to an address on Sept. 25, 2010 and no response. No success reported on TTM websites.
Former Chicago Cub Leon Durham is also a pending failure.
I sent a card to Durham on Sept. 29, 2010 to the Toledo Mud Hens in Toledo, Ohio.
Success has been recorded at this address and another address. Not sure if a second try is in order.
Dave Winfield is currently a pending failure. I sent a card to Winfield on Oct. 8, 2010 and have received no reply. Sources show success at the address along with other addresses as long as a charitable donation is included. Winfield may qualify as a retry.
Jay Tibbs is a pending failure and there are no success recorded on Sports Card Forum. So at this time I would say save your stamp.
For me former Los Angeles Dodger Mike Scioscia is a pending failure but for others he is a success.
I mailed Scioscia at the Angeles' address on Oct. 12, 2010 and no response. Some report luck but most do not.
At this time I consider these attempts failures but former Atlanta Braves catcher Eddie Perez did respond after 536 days so if the card gets to the player there could always be a chance at success.




No comments:

Post a Comment