Sunday, August 30, 2026

From container to soil in 90 days; Does it work? Now with two updates and 71 days to go

 



Today I went to KFC and ordered the Chicken Fried Steak special.



It was the first time in a while since the last time I ordered this item.


Bombas Homepage


In the past it came in the standard star foam container, but it seems that Yum Brands are getting more earth friendly as this container says it is made out of plant materials and will turn to soil within 90 days.


So I don’t do much gardening, so I don’t know much about compost and if you have to tear  the container to bits in order for it to change to soil or if you can just throw it outside and let nature take over.


So that is what I’m doing, I’m sitting it outside and plan to monitor it for 90 days and see what happens. 


So here is a photo of day 1, Aug. 12. I expect the container to be licked clean by the neighborhood strays and wildlife by tomorrow.


So we are off on the  90 day container to soil challenge

Stay tuned for updates and photos.




It is time for an update.
I took a photo of the container on Aug. 18, six days after it possessed my KFC lunch and was thrown out to nature in the yard to see if it turns to soil.

The first few days consisted of ants, feasting on the leftover residue, and heat, as temperatures have been over 100 for days. 
However, we got a break and rain fell one night, filling the container with water and some debris from the Pecan tree over head. 

It will be fun from a scientific view point  to see if the added water and debris will play a part in the container breaking down. I assume it will. 
So here is the photo of the container after six days in the elements. Tune in for an update in the next week or so.


Today is Aug. 31 and it is time for a container to soil update.

It has been 18 days since I sat the KFC container outside in the elements to allow it to start its journey to soil.

Since the last update on Aug. 18, we have had rain and now the temperatures have returned to Betty Crocker oven temps. 

One day I had some left over Cherry Lemonade from a Lou's Brews truck and so I poured the remains including the lemons into the container. The remains of the lemons add an optical like look to the container as one is in each top slot.
Other debris from the yard and trees have found homes in the container such as pecans and leaves. There are also ants still making their search of the container for useful items.

In all it has been 19 days since the container entered the outdoors. It has 71 one days to become a pile of soil. I think it might do it.

I attempted to nudge the container with my foot and it is somewhat stuck to the ground. I think that is a good sign that by Halloween it could be part of mother Earth.






Ice Cream Gifts Right To Your Door

No comments:

Post a Comment