Buy your pet products here

Chewy.com Logo

Monday, October 4, 2010

In Person Autograph Success in Atlanta



My new found hobby of pursuing autographs from major league baseball players both active and retired continues to reap rewards.
Since receiving Mike Sweeney's signature through the mail, I have received seven autographs, three in the mail and four in person.
Yes fans in person.

I have just returned from Atlanta, Ga. where I took in the series between the Atlanta Braves and Philadelphia Phillies.

The series marked the end of Braves' manager Bobby Cox's career, well with the exception of the Braves making the playoffs. (Yeah!).
Before the games I joined other fans in watching the Braves arrive before the games and I met some very obsessed autograph seekers.
I'll save those stories for later but I was fortunate to obtain four autographs during my time outside Turner Field.
First was Jose Alvarez, a former pitcher for the Braves. He signed a ball and wrote 'total 14-6' below his name.
The next day was tribute to Bobby Cox Day and many former Braves greats were there. Most zoomed by on golf carts, but some didn't.
One cart pulled up carrying three former Braves. My senses were off on two of them, but the third one I pegged as Andy Ashby. I called him by name and asked for an autograph. He obliged and said he never forgets the fans.
Next was former Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone.
Mazzone had no problem signing for the fans. He then entered the doors to the stadium only to reappear, saying they would not let him in without identification.
My next and last accomplishment was Braves' announcer Chip Carey. I'm very pleased to have this one on my cap because Chip's father, the late Skip Carey signed a cap for me in St. Louis  one time.
There was another special autograph I stumbled upon but I will save that one for a separate story.
As for my other through the mail (TTM) victories, signatures collected are: Bill Swift, former pitcher for the Colorado Rockies; Vance Law, former Montreal Expo, and Kevin Gross, former Phillie.
To find addresses visit http://www.sportscardforum.com/forum.php?referrerid=72224 

No comments:

Post a Comment