Buy your pet products here

Chewy.com Logo

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Beating the Workplace Bully


 Like a flower surrounded by very little that finds a way to bloom.  I battled a workplace bully and later bloomed into an award winning journalist.

BLACKWELL, OK. — I was bullied by the best, but in the end I came out a winner.

Workplace bullying is more common then most realize and according to http://www.workplacebullying.org many states have introduced pending anti-bullying bills in hopes of  making them laws.

 

In 2002 I experienced a workplace bully and although I didn't realize it at the time, it was an experience that helped me grow.

I graduated college in December of 2001 at the ripe old age of 31. I was fortunate enough to land a position in my field in January 2002. For 10 months I worked at a small daily paper, The Blackwell Journal Tribune in Blackwell, Oklahoma, as the sports editor. I worked nights, days and weekends, growing and learning.

In July the tables started tilting just a wee bit.

My editor went on vacation and the company decided to terminate her while she was gone. This move turned out to be the end for her and the beginning of the end for me.

The decision was made to throw me in the driver's seat until a replacement was found. My staff consisted of two elderly workers that had limited computer knowledge.

For a couple of weeks, I struggled with my new added duties but with the help of coworkers in other departments we got it done.

After a few weeks, the decision was made that a retired man with limited newspaper background would assume the role of editor. 

To add insult to injury I was told that I was too young for the position and then asked to train him. I was disappointed but just happy to have an income. 

With the debut of the new editor, Bob, came the beginning of my nightmare.

Bob immediately began letting everyone know he was in charge. He insulted and disrespected everyone.

He made it quite clear that he was not going to take any direction from a woman especially a young one. 

The publisher ignored the entire situation. Bob insulted customers and employees. He printed offensive things in the paper and readers begin to flood the office with complaints.

It seemed his mission was to insult everyone on earth with myself being the number one target.

He told me I was not fit to work at a newspaper. He said that if I couldn't read several newspapers in a two hour span, listen to public radio while in may car, and watch C-SPAN at night, then I should quit and take tap dancing lessons.

This was rather tame compared to most comments.

For two weeks, I was tormented. I could not eat or sleep. I lost 10 pounds and was consumed with finding a solution. I contacted the paper's owner only to find out that the publisher had called him and blamed the entire situation on me.

That is when I decided it was time to get a tape recorder and protect myself. For two weeks I taped the outbursts not knowing what role if any the tapes would play in the outcome of the situation.

Later I learned that the publisher was accusing me of plotting to destroy the company computers, that was the end for me.

I quit as I could stand no more and my mental and physical health was at stake. I headed to the employment commission and filed for unemployment benefits based on a hostile work environment.

Then I contacted the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and was told there was nothing I could do. Finally I found a lawyer who was willing to help me fight for my unemployment benefits. 

The paper fought the claim and a phone hearing was scheduled. A normal phone hearing usually lasts around 20 minutes, mine was three hours. Thanks to my recordings, lawyer, and one honest co-worker, I won, at least on one level. 

Now I had to overcome the mental damage. Not only was I drained and had no desire to find a job, Bob and the publisher had decided that I would not work again. 

Well after six months, I found a job opportunity and I went for it. I was hired as a copy editor at the Arkansas Traveler in Arkansas City, Kan. Ironically my first week on the job, was Bob's last day at the Blackwell paper.

The proverbial, what goes around comes around had begun and it continues today. The new paper begin inserting a monthly publication in my former employer's paper, so my byline graced the Blackwell publication again. Then after 21 months at the new job, I encountered bully No. 2 resulting in another job hunt.

I found peace at The Ponca City News and was awarded a state award in 2005.

I have been there 10 years now. In the beginning Bob was a frequent guest at my office, repeatedly making submissions. 

On occasion I had the pleasure of editing his submissions. He has been brazen enough to apply for a job, but his nasty demeanor has prevented him from being hired. 

I used to run out of the building when I saw him but with time I can now stand to be in the same room as I now understand there is nothing else he can do to hurt me.

I have the job he once wanted and there is no chance of him becoming my co-worker or boss again.

Working with Bob was not pleasant but the experience topped with another bullying experience has made me stronger and a more aggressive reporter.

In some respects I'm lucky, I made it through the experience and was able to rebound. 

Some are not so lucky. I hope sharing a tidbit of my experience will help someone else that may be encountering a similar situation and show that you can come out victorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment